The Centre for Language and Communication Studies
About the Directorate
The main objectives guiding the activities of the Centre for Language and Communication Studies are:
- *To equip students and the general public with broad and practical knowledge in language use and communicative competencies necessary for everyday interaction.
- *To conduct high grade research that responds to the modern world’s challenges of understanding the complex and evolving language and communication environments
- *To provide high quality academic education in language and communication studies.
- *To provide relevant professional development courses on languages and communication, workshops and seminar to students, staff and members of the public.
- *To forge local and international collaborations and coo-operations in the areas of languages and communication studies between TUK and other institutions.
The Centre, housed in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Technology, is currently composed of the following departments
- * Department of Modern and Classical Languages
- * Department of English and Creative Writing
- * Department of Translation and Multilingual Communication
- * Department of Kiswahili and African languages
Teaching and research in the above departments currently focus primarily (but not exclusively) on the following areas: Communication Skills, French, German and Kenyan Sign Language (KSL). Teaching in these areas takes place within the corresponding units alongside research and consultancy.